Any dog will love these chicken dog treats (and any owner will love how easy they are to make)! Just 4 ingredients and ready in under and hour.
You know when you start cooking chicken and your dog comes running? No… Just me? Ok, well Rhubarb can smell chicken cooking from a mile away. She loves it and I am pretty confident most dogs also do!
But, instead of giving in to table scraps of chicken, try making these super simple homemade chicken dog treats! They do not require any special molds or pans, simply mix together the ingredients, roll into balls, and bake!
This easy chicken dog treats recipe creates an ultra-chewy treat that’s healthy and high reward (that’s what we call a triple whammy).
Ingredients for Chicken Dog Treats
What’s so great about this recipe is you can make a large batch of plain chicken, some for you and some for your pup. As long as it has no seasonings, then you can shred any leftover chicken from your meal prep or dinner and throw it in these treats with some other simple ingredients!
- Chicken: For the chicken, I prefer to use skinless chicken breast because I don’t really care to spend my time removing fat, but you could use any cut you like. Just remove most of the fat before making these treats. You could also use ground turkey or even canned salmon here!
- Flour: I use whole wheat flour because it provides a wider range of nutrients but you could certainly use all-purpose or grain-free flour like chickpea, coconut, or almond.
- Carrots: Of course, we need to hide some veggies in these treats! Carrots are great for eyesight and the immune system.
- Eggs: Just as in normal baking and meatball recipes, eggs act as the binder. That is the same for this recipe (while also giving a boost of protein!)
How to make Chicken Dog Treats
These are seriously so easy to make! Just grab that large batch of chicken, pre-shredded carrots, eggs, and flour, and mix.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl until evenly combined. Add a splash of water as needed to create a cohesive mixture.
Step 2: Shape
Scoop heaping tablespoons of the dough, rolling them into balls.
Step 3: Bake
Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet (these won’t rise much, so they can be relatively close together). Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until dry to the touch.
Step 4: Serve
Allow chicken dog treats to cool fully before serving. Always serve treats to your dog under supervision to prevent choking.
Storage: Store these in an air-tight container for up to 5 days in the fridge (if they can last that long). I like to put them in a ziplock bag with the date written on them so I do not keep the chicken dog treats homemade past 5 days. They can also be frozen, just be sure to thaw them before serving to prevent choking.
More Tasty Treats
Looking for more tasty treats to share with your pup? Try any of these favorites!
- Pumpkin Dog Treats are another easy, no-hassle treat that requires no special molds or equipment.
- Dehydrated Sweet Potatoes make great gnawing treats to keep your dog’s teeth healthy!
- Healthy Homemade Dog Biscuits are great to keep on hand for when your pup says they are having friends over last minute (Rhubarb…).
- Chicken Jerky is another great way to use up any chicken while also providing a nutritious treat!
Or for another treat just like this one, try our dog-friendly meatballs!
How To Make Chewy Chicken Dog Treats (4 Ingredients)
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups flour*
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 eggs
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl until evenly combined. Add a splash of water as needed.
- Shape: Scoop heaping tablespoons of the dough, rolling them into balls.
- Bake: Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet (these won't rise much, so they can be relatively close together). Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until dry to the touch.
- Serve: Allow chicken dog treats to cool fully before serving. Always serve treats ti your dog under supervision to prevent choking.